Dos and Donts to be hosted on the A/I servers
To be hosted on our servers you have to share our principles of anti-fascism, anti-racism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-transphobia, and anti-militarism. Your projects must as well be based on the same non-commercial nature which keep our project alive, and on the desire to share and experience relationships and struggles, with all the patience it requires ;))))
Any service provided on our servers cannot be destined to (directly or indirectly) commercial or religious activities, nor to political parties: to make a long story short, we do not host anyone who already has means and resources to spread widely his/her own contents and ideas, or who uses the concept of (explicit or implicit) delegation and representation in its day-to-day relationships and projects.
The server only keeps the logs that are strictly necessary for debug operations, and they do not hold any personal data connecting accounts on our servers to actual identities.
Dos and Donts for Specific services:
To open an account on our server means also to share our manifesto and to take note of the following:
- Space limits on disk: The use of your account is limited by the respect owed to everybody who's using our services. Resources are scarce, the service is free and the users are many. For this reason, we invite you to limit the use you make of our disk by downloading or deleting your emails as often as possible.
- Usage/Non-usage of this service: Mailboxes which are left unused for over 180 days will be disabled. If you think you won't be using your account for more than 6 months but would like to keep it active anyway, write to us.
- WebMail usage: The WebMail needs a lot of the servers' resources, and should be therefore only used for emergencies; for normal usage you are invited to use an email client and download your emails on your PC.
Password: For privacy-related reasons, we never keep track of anybody who requests the activation of an
email account. To use your email, you will have to choose a simple question which will allow you to recover your password in case you lose/forget
it. If you also forget the question or the answer to the question we won't be able to re-send you the data to access your account again. The only thing we
will be able to do is creating a new mail account for you, but you won't recover your old stuff.
Remember then to set the "recover question" in your account clicking on the link you will find in your user panel. Remember as well to periodically change your password: you can do it by clicking on the "change password" link in the user panel.
- Receiving Spam and Viruses: The server uses antivirus and antispam tools, but as with any other commercial host, they are little effective. Every mail is awarded a spam rank using some widespread guidelines about spamming. If the mail rank is high enough it is tagged with the word *** SPAM *** in the Subject line of the mail. You will then be able to configure your mail client to filter any spam message. We recommend you to check the emails which are "tagged" as spam, since the anti-spam filter is anything but perfect.
- Sending Spam and Viruses: To avoid having our servers included in blacklists of half the known world, we don't want our email accounts be used for sending spam. Any account caught doing so will be disabled without further notice.
- Legal responsibilities: As for anything else you do, be aware that our servers are not responsible for what you write, nor for the safeguard of your own privacy. We therefore invite you to make the most of all the existing tools to defend your right to privacy.
Responsibility for the content of the sites lies within the sites'
webmasters. The collective which runs the server Autistici-Inventati cannot be
held responsible for the contents of any of the hosted sites.
We therefore invite all webmasters to respect our principles and to request the webspace only after having read and agreed to our manifesto.
- The webspace will be provided according only to the collective approval. Personal websites will not be hosted unless they publish documents of particular interest according to our manifesto and to the collective's opinions.
- We remind you not to upload on the site copyright protected materials (like sometimes mp3 and divx are) that could endanger the existence of our very servers (and all services connected to it).
When you work on your site, have a thought about the struggle for free sharing of
knowledge that we are fighting. We hope you'll be sensitive to these
struggles. Think about us when you see the small but significant
"copyright" warning down on the bottom of your page.
The material published on this server will have to be released at least under a free license (like for example: GPL , or Creative Commons) -- if you decide to use a copyright license at all ;)
- The limits to your webspace are limited by the machine's resources.
This means that it's not good to use space for personal data or for big-sized files,
unless it's strictly necessary. Generally, we confide in
collaboration and responsibility.
If you do have very big files to keep online, we invite you to contact us to verify the disk space availability before you upload.
- Our servers mean to safeguard the privacy and anonymity of its users: it's therefore not allowed to use counters or other webstat services (like shinystat or google analytics) on any website page, since they log the IPs of people visiting the site, completely forsaking one of our main principles. If you really want to know how many people visit your site, feel free to use our web statistics service.
- Doxing: Doxing (the publication of other people's personal data) is not allowed because we can't assess either if it's done in good faith or what consequences it will have for the exposed people, and because it implies too big a legal risk for us. You should also consider that if your goal is doxing someone, you don't need our services and can find many others (better if they're hidden services).
- When you work on your site, think about the fact that not everyone has access to the latest existing technologies and that there are also people who cannot see; for us accessibility of the hosted sites on this server is always important (see http://www.ecn.org/xs2web for further information on the issue of accessibility).
- In the propaganda page of our site you'll find a little logo of the autistici.org/inventati.org project, and we'd be very happy to know that the sites hosted by our servers display it somewhere in their homepage ;))))). Moreover, in case you are using your own domain (read technical notes), the inclusion of a little Inventanti/Autistici-logo on your home page is considered a little but important sign that you share and support our project.
- It is not allowed to use the assigned space as a re-direct for other sites, as we consider this an unnecessary waste of our resources.
- Server space left unused for more than 90 days from the activation will be disabled and deleted (for the same reasons as above).
If the use of mysql has been requested, the maintenance of your own database
happens through the web interface.
IT IS NOT NECESSARY to install any software like phpadmin or similar web interfaces to manage your MySQL account, because we have already installed them and keep them well tended and cared for.
Thanks to (A)iMoNDi who contributed this translation.